Written by Imam Maghdie Sadien


I wish to thank the following persons for their input and assistance towards the compilation of this centenary brochure.

  • Umar Davids
  • Achmat Davids
  • Rashaad Solomon
  • Fadlulah Solomon
  • Toyer Solomon
  • Nazier Sadien
  • Dawood Sadien
  • Miedie Sadien
  • Noor Damon
  • Taliep Damon
  • Mariam Damon
  • Murieda Borez
  • Faiz Martin

Imam Maghdie Sadien

November 2013


In 1913, South Africa was a dominion of the British Empire. There were approximately 25,000 Muslims in the Cape of which about 300 lived in the Constantia area.

It was also the year that the notorious ‘Natives Land Act of 1913’ was enacted. This was the first major piece of segregation legislation passed by the Union parliament and would remain in force until the 1990’s when the current land restitution policies were formulated. The act decreed that only certain areas of the country could be owned by the indigenous people of South Africa. These areas totalled only 13% of the entire land mass of the Union.

It is against this backdrop that several residents of the Constantia area collaborated and established Masjied-ul-Maghmoed on Main road Constantia.

For the next 100 years the mosque would prevail through prosperous times as well as challenges of forced removals, vandalisation, maintenance and relevance, to be in a position today where it is having a centenary celebration to both commemorate the past and map out the future. Algamdulillah.

During the period 1913 to about 1968 the mosque thrived as the local community grew stronger and the mosque served as a vibrant community centre relevant to the needs of the local population at that time.

During the harshest years of Apartheid and the era of forced removals, circumstances forced the mosque leadership to maintain a ‘holding pattern’ whereby even Jumu’ah prayers were suspended and only certain auspicious days and nights observed. It is a credit to the leadership of the time that the mosque survived this most challenging period in its history.

Today we live in a democratic South Africa with freedom of residence, religion and other rights, entrenched in our constitution. A significant number of Muslim families again reside in the Constantia area and surrounds.

It is now necessary for the mosque leadership and the community to again establish the mosque as a vibrant religious and broad community centre serving the needs of the people in the immediate and surrounding areas. Importantly, the mosque should be relevant to the needs and challenges of the society and times in which we live.

In addition to the fundamental rudimentary functions of being a place of Salaah, Quranic recitation, Thikr programmes, Moulood celebrations and Nikah ceremonies, mosques have also over the ages served their communities in many other additional forms.

In this spirit and with the intention of serving the broader community and in particular, reaching out to people in need, we will be introducing some new initiatives in the immediate future.

These initiatives will include:

  • The appointment of an assistant Imam, preferably resident on the premises, to assist Imam Maghdie and to be available for all waqts every day
  • The establishment of a feeding programme operating from the mosque, aimed at people in need living in surrounding areas like Hout Bay
  • Regular Thikr and Quranic recitation programmes
  • The establishment of Madressah classes and other educational programmes Other programmes will be introduced as we grow and with input from the community.

To make these initiatives a success, we will count on your duahs and involvement in the projects. All of these enterprises are being undertaken in a spirit of inclusiveness and any contribution, including time and skill is welcome.

We look forward to the next hundred years. May Allah guide us and grant us success in our endeavours InshaAllah.

Miedie Sadien


Establishment of the Masjid–ul Maghmoed Trust

In the early 1900s the road from Wynberg through Constantia to Houtbay was a rough sand road and the surrounding area was mainly farmland and thick bush. The establishment of a Masjid on this route provided a place of worship and rest for Muslims who walked this long road as well as those who travelled via horse and cart, carrying passengers and farm produce.

On 29th May 1902 Dawud Sadien (Oupa Dout) bought Sillery Farm in Constantia from Gottwold Albertus, at an auction held on the Grand Parade in Cape Town by auctioneers, JJ Hofmeyer. At the same auction two other Muslims, Abdullah Solomon and Sama-oen Solomon also bought farmland in Constanta.

In 1913 Oupa Dout Sadien donated and transferred a portion of Sillery Farm to a Trust in order to establish a Masjid for the Muslims of Constantia. This Trust Deed was signed on the 16th June 1913, and the following persons were named as the founding Trustees:

  • Abdullah Solomon (Oupa Dout Sadien’s brother-in-law)
  • Sheikh Abdullah Taha Gamieldien (Grandfather of Sheikh Faiek Gamieldien)
  • Haroon
  • Rajab Sadien (Oupa Dout’s brother), and
  • Imam Dawud (Dout) Sadien Junior,  the first Imam  of the mosque

Founding Families

During those early years around 1913, five families were closely associated with the

Masjid’s establishment – Sadien, Solomon, Brenner, Davids and Damon; from these families we can identify five elders and their immediate families who were pivotal, both in terms of providing material and physical support in establishing the Masjid, as well as assistance with the religious activities in the Masjid.

  • Oupa Dout Sadien (d.1921) donated the land; his son Imam Dout was the first Imam
  • Abdullah Solomon, Oupa Dout’s brother-in-law, and his sons Abdurahman and Noor Solomon.
  • Oupa Taliep Damon, Abdullah Solomon’s son-in-law, and his sons Toyer and Salie
  • Mogamat Solomon (Pang Gamat) and his sons Ebrahim ( Hi-Hiempie), Boeta Karr and Qassiem (Hafiz).
  • Hadji Abbas Brenner and wife, Motjie Dierrie and their children – son, Ismail (Amie Kamaai), Gadijah (Ummie), Gawa (Khala), and son-in-law Dawud (Douta) Davids.

The elders above were actively involved in the establishment of the Masjid and through their example and loyalty their descendants have been instrumental in the maintenance and support of Masjid-ul Maghmoed over the past one hundred years.

The Mosque Building

The material used to construct the mosque around 1913 was locally sourced as was evident during renovations done in the 1980s – soft clay bricks and tree branches were used for roof rafters. Oupa Taliep Damon was a skilled builder, and he was assisted by Haji Abbas Brenner and his son-in-law, Douta who fetched and delivered clay bricks with their horse- drawn wagons. Boeta Toyer Sadien (Imam Dout’s brother) assisted with the construction of the Masjid. The high-stepped mimbar was transported by horse and cart from Cape Town and the main chandelier originally housed six candles. Electricity came many years later.

In the early years the mosque had no electricity and no running water or wudu area; a clause in the 1913 Trust Deed states that the owners of Sillery Farm must allow musallees access to “the sloot on the south-east side of the mosque” for the purposes of ablution.

According to local Heritage authorities this stream was established by slaves around 1790 and is one of the earliest examples of irrigation in the Cape.

An old rickety wooden bridge over the stream connected Sillery farm with the mosque property. About twenty metres from the stream, on the farm was a natural spring where musallees also performed wudu during times when the stream was dry. There was a footpath from the masjid over the wooden bridge and stream to the spring on Sillery farm.

In the 1950s running water became available in the area and then an open stoep with wudu area was added to the mosque. The bilal used to stand on the stoep when performing the Athaan.

The stoep was secured with burglar bars in the 1970s and in the 1980s was enclosed due to increasing vandalisation in the area. This whole section was rebuilt   and incorporated into the main mosque in the early 1990s.

Masjid-ul Maghmoed in early 1990s
Masjid-ul Maghmoed in 1980s

First Imams of Masjid-ul Maghmoed

Imam Dawud (Dout) Sadien was the first Imam of the Masjid and commenced his duties around 1913 when the masjid was established and continued until his move to Grassy Park when old age and ill health prevented him from performing his duties as Imam.

His life was dedicated to the masjid; he led Salaah five times a day, and he was the Imam for many of the families who lived in the Constantia area, attending to their janazahs, nikahs, thikrs for over forty years until the Group Areas Act uprooted the community.

Imam Dout Sadien& son,Nazier 1954
Imam Dout . 1967

Imam Dout had five sons all of whom assisted with mosque activities, and three daughters. The sons were Saddiq, Makkie, Sharkie, Dawood and Nazier, the daughters were Ghoewayla, Gadija and Wardia. Hafiz Saddiq was one of the foremost hufaaz of his generation which included Sheikh Salih Abadie, Sheikh Yusuf Gabier and Imam Ma’awiyah Sedick. Boeta Sharkie’s son Imam Maghdie is the current Imam of Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

By 1966 most Muslim families had been moved to areas such as Grassy Park, Lotus River, Parkwood, Manenberg etc. Imam Dout and his family moved from Constantia and he settled in Grassy Park in 1969. Thereafter his health steadily deteriorated, and he passed away in 1977.

During the period 1968 until his passing in 1982, Imam Makkie dedicated a great deal of time and effort towards the maintenance of the mosque, which due to circumstances, was not in everyday use. He personally undertook repairs caused by vandalisation, abuse and neglect and even erected a makeshift set of burglar bars along the then open stoep to prevent vandals from causing further damage.

He and Imam Saddiq would diligently perform each Tarawih Salaah at the mosque during these years, often with not enough musallees to fill even one saf.

This diligence was shared by members of the Davids and Appels families who supported them as bilals and assistant Imams. The brothers performed their duties with love and dedication through these harshest years of apartheid.

Sadly, the Sadien brothers both passed away in 1982 within five months of each other.

Hafiz Saddiq Sadien
Hafiz Makkie Sadien

The Apartheid Years

The period 1970-1984 was a very difficult period in the history of the Masjid, because it coincided with the height of the Apartheid era which obviously had a huge impact on the masjid. The original Constantia Muslim community and mosque congregants had been uprooted to areas which were very far from the mosque and hence most congregants were unable to continue frequenting Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

Sillery farm which was originally owned by the Sadien family, was bought by Badenhorst in 1962. A few years later most Muslim families had moved from Constantia and the environment became increasingly antagonistic towards the few Muslims who continued to frequent the Masjid. Access to the stream behind the mosque was halted and the spring on Sillery Farm was closed and a pigsty was erected around it. On many occasions tomatoes and other missiles were thrown at the bilal who used to stand on the mosque’s open stoep to perform Athaan. Thereafter the stoep was secured and eventually enclosed.

Due to the dwindling attendance, Jumuah at the masjid was stopped in 1978 while all other important religious occasions like Moulood, Tarawih and Eid Khutbahs continued. For two years from 1982 to 1984 the masjid had no official Imam and religious duties were shared by Sadien family members – Nazier, Saaid, Maghdie and Miedie, and Davids family members – Saaid and Riyaad. Guest Imams provided additional support.

In 1984 Imam Maghdie Sadien, grandson of Imam Dout was appointed the official Imam, a position which he still occupies today.

Sadien and Solomon Families

Oupa Dout Sadien (d. 1921) was married to Fatima (Ummie/Mota Tiema) the eldest of the Solomon family, and hence the strong relationship between the two families and their involvement in the affairs of the Masjid. The early generation of Sadien and Solomon families all have vivid memories of Ummie and visiting her on Eid days, in her four-poster bed to which she was confined for many years. Ummie passed way in 1956, aged 105.

Generations of Sadien, Solomon, Davids and Damon families assisted with religious duties within the masjid as well as the maintenance of the building .

Hadji Abdullah Solomon (brother-in-law of Oupa Dout Sadien) bought his farm which was situated off Ladies Mile road, at the same time as Oupa Dout bought Sillery farm. Haji Abdullah had two sons who had very strong links with Masjid-ul Maghmoed – Abdurahman and Noor Solomon.

Every Friday after Jumuah Imam Dout, Haji Abdurahman and Haji Noor Solomon would gather at the Solomon’s family home in Ladies Mile road for afternoon tea, and every Sunday afternoon Haji Abdurahman and his sons visited Imam Dout’s family for tea.

Haji Noor Solomon was a pious, stern looking man who always wore a distinctive black and white wursal, even when he was working in the garden; he was Imam Dout’s assistant and was always present in the Masjid – everybody who frequented Masjid-ul Maghmoed up to the 1960s will remember Haji Noor’s presence. In the Constantia community he was a Khalifah to all and led the Ratib-ul

Hadad every Thursday and Sunday evening at the Solomon’s home.

On Eid days after Salaah the first house the Solomon men went to greet was Ummie Fatima and next Aunty Gadija who lived in the original Sillery farmhouse in Skilpadam.

Mogamat Solomon (Pang Gamat) who was a cousin of Abdullah Solomon, had five sons – Boeta Karr, Qassiem (Hafiz), Ebrahim (Hi-Hiempie), Alie and Boeta Taypie all of whom were very active in the masjid affairs during the early years.

Haji Noor Solomon served as assistant Imam while Hi-Hiempie was one of the first bilals and guided the younger generation in bilal duties. He was succeeded by the Damon brothers, Imam Salie and Haji Toyer.

In Ramadan, the tarawih Salaah was led by Hafiz Saddiq. He was often invited to Mosques in Johannesburg and Durban in Ramadana and then Hafiz Qassiem Solomon and Imam Makkie Sadien performed the tarawih Salaah. Others who assisted with tarawih were Imam Salie Damon and Imam Alie Cornelius.

Boeta Karr was Pang Gamat’s eldest son, a regular musallee at Masjid-ul Maghmoed and close friend of Imam Dout. He is fondly remembered by all as a pious, prominent man who readily gave Islamic advice and encouragement to all in his company. Boeta Karr passed away in 1978.

Hafiz Qassiem was another son of Pang Gamat and an associate of Hafiz Saddiq Sadien and the other hufaaz of his generation like Sheikh Salih Abadie and Sheikh Yusuf Gabier.

During his young days in the 1950-1960s he led tarawih Salaah with Hafiz Saddiq and Hafiz Makkie Sadien at Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

For some years Hafiz Qassiem accompanied Sheikh Salih in tarawih at the Simonstown mosque; the two travelled there by train. During Ramadan Hafiz Qassiem was often invited to mosques in other parts of the country – Durban (Riverside), Port Shepstone and Pietersburg.

After he moved to Grassy Park, Hafiz Qassiem led tarawih at Habibia Masjid for over 20 years before retiring; he continued to hold Quran and Hifz classes at his home, at Parkwood Mosque and Lotus River High School. Some of his students were Imam Maghdie Sadien, Saaid Davids, Sheikh Umar Davids, Dawud Davids and Armien Appels.

Hafiz Qassien Solomon passed way in 2004.

Hafiz Qassiem Solomon
Boeta Karr Solomon

The Damon Family

The Damon family played a prominent role in the maintenance and religious activities of Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

The Damon and Solomon families were also linked due to marriage; Oupa Taliep Damon married Hajierah, daughter of Haji Abdullah Solomon, and they had five sons – Salie, Toyer, Abdul-Wahab (Doellie), Achmad , Isghak (Gakkie) and Yunis. The daughters were Ragma, Salegha and Roulda (Roulie); the latter’s nikah was performed at the Masjid.

Ederees Adams, son of Raghma used to assist in the maintenance of the Masjid

Oupa Taliep with his trusted horse & cart was an all-round handyman, builder, farmer, gardener – a very energetic man able to do any job and always ready to help others. He built most of the Solomon family homes. Oupa Taliep was also a very kind-hearted and generous man ; it was said he “worked the whole day, and returned home with nothing”

Oupa Taliep’s sons all played prominent roles in the running of the affairs of the Masjid. Imam Salie occasionally lead Tarawih Salaah during Ramadan, and after Hi-Hiempie, Haji Toyer Damon was the official bilal assisted by his brother Salie. Abdul-Wahab was member of the Moulood Jama’ah who also accompanied the group on visits to Johannesburg.

Imam Salie Damon
Haji Toyer Damon returning from Hajj

Haji Toyer (d. 1999) was also the Sheikh of the Moulood Jama’ah from the start and his children Kader, Cassiem, Zaynab and Mariam all were pivotal in the running of the Masjid – assisting and contributing towards the Kumies Moulood every year as well as fund raising for the Masjid.

Kader Damon (d. 1997) had extensive personal contacts with ex-Constantia residents and families associated with the mosque, and he is remembered as one who diligently collected funds for the maintenance of the Masjid during the 1980s.

Another son of Haji Toyer, Cassiem, served as Chairman of the Mosque Committee from 1984 until his demise in 2007. He is remembered for his diligence and persistent efforts over many years towards the maintenance of the masjid.

Cassiem arranged collections from families and eat-treat functions to raise funds for the many mosque projects – replacement of the mosque’s old wooden floor with concrete and the construction of the outside steps.

Kader Damon
Cassiem Damon & his son,

The Damon family was closely connected with Masjid-ul Maghmoed from its inception in 1913 and successive generations have maintained this relationship to the present day.

Hadji Toyer Damon

The Davids Family

Haji Dawood (Douta) Davids was the doyen of the Davids Family; he was a very close friend of Imam Dout and one of the key individuals who assisted in the affairs of Masjid-ul Maghmoed, during the early years; his four sons (late) Amien, Achmat, Umar & Alie were active in mosque activities and have maintained this interest to the present day.

R to L Boeta Cassiem Anthony, Douta, & his daughter Galiema. Standing on left hand side is
Douta’s wife Aysha. The rest are friends from Durban.

R to L Boeta Cassiem Anthony, Douta, and his daughter Galiema. Standing on left hand side is Douta’s wife Aysha. The rest are friends from Durban.

Umar (Amie) led the tarawih thikrs in the 1960s and 70s; Imam Dout encouraged him to continue Islamic studies and to extend his role in the masjid. Umar studied Quran with Hafiz Saddiq and Hafiz Makkie Sadien, and he was was mentored by Hajdi Toyer Damon. Umar was very close to Haji Toyer and the two often travelled together to Jumu’ah on Fridays.

The Davids and Brenner families were well-known for their love of horses and regularly participated in horse & cart shows which usually took place at the old Goodwood Showgrounds. The families were also actively involved in the broader Constantia community and Douta Davids owned a football team, Riverstones FC . This team along with others from neighbouring suburbs, Diep River and Newtown (Plumstead) played in a Sunday League. The Newtown team was managed by Sadaqah Mosavel, a grandson of Taliep Solomon.

Riverstones FC.
Front row R to L. Mogamat Zain Appels,
young Saaid Appels & Achmat Davids. Second
row, 2nd from right Armien (Boeta) Davids,
left is Umar Davids. Back row 2nd from right is
Alie Davids

Front row R to L. Mogamat Zain Appels, young Saaid Appels & Achmat Davids. Second row, 2nd from right Armien (Boeta) Davids, left is Umar Davids. Back row 2nd from right is Alie Davids

Douta often reminded his sons to maintain the family link with the Masjid and to this day, the Davids family still have a very strong association with the Masjid. The Davids jama’ah still conducts Moulood at the mosque every year, and a grandson Saaid has been the official bilal for the past 26 years, while a great-grandson Hafiz Achmat Davids currently leads Tarawih Salaah.

The Moulood Jama’ah

It is not recorded when exactly the first Moulood celebration was held at the Masjid and by whom. The present jama’ah have information dated around 1960 when a group visited mosques in Johannesburg. This Moulood Jama’ah included Haji Toyer and Abdul-Wahab Damon, Zain Appels, and the Davids brothers – Amien (Boeta), Achmat, and Umar.

During the 1950-1960s period there was much interaction and sharing between Constantia, Cape Town, Simonstown and Strand Jama’ahs. The Constantia jama’ah was guided by the Simonstown jama’ah led by Imam Saban (husband of Haji Toyer’s aunt), Imam Abubakr Manuel and Boeta Gierrie Solomon. The Davids brothers attended Mouloods at mosques in Simonstown and Strand and this is where much of their early learning and adoption of the various laagoes started.

Besides the assistance they received from the Simonstown Imams, the Constantia Jama’ah were taught the riwayat lagoes by Imam Noor of Strand, Imam Gasant of Cape Town and Boeta Tapie Jabaar .

Over the years the Constantia Moulood Jama’ah grew stronger and became very well- known. They were invited to mosques in Kimberley, Simonstown, Kalk Bay, Strand, Johannesburg (Fietas & Bosmont), and Port Elizabeth. The Bosmont Imams were from Cape Town – Imam Niefa (Piesangkie), and later Imam Gafieldien.

The photograph below was taken in front on the Union buildings in Pretoria sometime in the 1960s when the jama’ah visited Johannesburg.

In front( sitting), right young Alie Davids.

Standing, first row R to L are Mogamat Zain Appels, Toyer Damon, Jhb friend, Boetatjie Cornelius, Abdul Wahab Damon. Back row, third from right is Douta Davids

Moulood has been held at Masjid-ul Maghmoed every year on 12 Rabi-ul- Awal, referred to as “Kumies Moulood” and organised by the Davids brothers and their extended family.

Haji Toyer Damon was the Sheikh of the Moulood Jama’ah for over thirty years and served until his demise in 1999.

After Haji Toyer’s demise, Alie Davids was appointed Sheikh of the Moulood Jama’ah. This role has since been passed to his nephews Dawud and Abdullah Davids.

Ladies of the Moulood-un Nabi

The ladies Moulood usually took place in the afternoon of the 12th Rabi-ul Awal; with the main Moulood taking place in the evening. Ladies prepared rampies and recited riwayats.

Aunty Mymoena Sadien

The key figures of the ladies Moulood during the 1950-1970 period at Masjid-ul Maghmoed were Hadjah Gadija Adams (nee Brenner) known by everyone as Ummie, Aunty Gawa Borez, Aunty Aysha Solomon, Aunty Mymoena Sadien, Hadjah Minnie Sadien and Aunty Gadija Solomon

Aunty Mymoena, wife of Boeta Doellie (Imam Dout’s brother) had a very special role in the ladies Moulood programme.

She was one of the few persons able to “oeker” the rampies leaves. This process involved steaming the leaves with lamoen– olie, miyang and rubaan. The leaves are then dried and ready for cutting and rampies folding.

Aunty Gawa Borez was another a key person at Ladies Moulood in Constantia as well as in the Wynberg jama’ah. She was married

to Boeta Salie Borez and they lived in Diep River; Aunty Gawa was the eldest of Boeta Ganief Sadien’s children and very close to her Aunt Gaya Coenraad, the youngest of Oupa Dout Sadien’s children.

In the 1950s Aunty Gawa’s daughters, Murieda, Aziza, Fatima and Gadija attended primary school in Diep River close to their home. On Moulood days they took the bus (which cost two pence in those days), to Constantia and changed clothes at Aunty Gaya’s house which was next to the Masjid.

It was very important for young girls to wear something new and nice to the Moulood; all girls wore pretty “strooimeisie”

dresses with miesfal. Imam Dout’s sister, Aunty Fatima was an

Aunty Mymoena Sadien

expert dress-maker and very busy during these occasions.

Aziza Borez dressed for Moulood

Aunty Gawa assisted Ummie Gadija, led the Ladies Moulood, along with her sister Gawa (Khala) .

A Boeta Gasant had a butcher in old Kendal Road and his wife was Aunty Assam, who was also active in the Moulood even before the time of Ummie Gadija. Murieda Borez remembers as a child, often running into Imam Dout at the butcher and, “he always gave me 5p”.

During Moulood night it was customary to distribute rose-water when the ashrakal commenced. Hadjah Hasiena Solomon (wife of Hadji Abdurahman) supplied the rose- water, which her son Rashaad Solomon, dutifully purchased from Heyns & Mathews in Observatory.

Refreshments at the ladies Moulood included tea, biscuits, fig konfyt & cakes as well as supper…a long day for everyone especially the young-ones since the main Moulood programme followed after Maghrib. The Solomon’s farm had many fig trees and Aunty Aysha Solomon used to make konfyt in copper pots for the Moulood.

Aunty Gawa also baked cake in her coal stove at home and in the early years Aunty Fatima Sadien assisted with the eats. In order to transport the cake to Constantia Boeta Marnie, a well- known tailor in Diep River kindly assisted with transport.

Shortly before she passed away Aunty Gawa gave Murieda R20 and instructed her to bake some cake for the Moulood, which the daughter dutifully obeyed and even showed the cake to mama before delivering it.

Aunty Gawa passed away soon after this in 1983, her last contribution to the Ladies Moulood at Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

Other Musallees of the Past

Besides the families and individuals mentioned in this document, there were many others who supported the masjid over the years. We acknowledge some of these individuals below.

Boeta Suleiman Coenraad lived next door to the masjid and was married to Imam Dout’s sister, Aunty Gaya. Boeta Layman and his sons, Dawood and Armien assisted with maintenance of the masjid.

Boeta Ganief Sadien used to arrange collections from families in Constantia for the masjid. His children especially his eldest son, Ismail (Boeta Mailie) has continued this assistance to the present day.

Imam Dout’s brothers, Boeta Toyer, Boeta Abdurahman and Boeta Umar Sadien lived on Sillery farm and frequented the masjid until they moved in 1962. Boeta Toyer was one of the early bilals of the Masjid along with Hi-Hiempie. The Sadien brothers, were keen farmers and grew cabbage and carrots on the farm. They owned two large horse-drawn carts with which they transported their produce to the old market in Sir Lowry Road Cape Town.

Boeta Doellie was another brother who also farmed on Sillery; he was assisted by Boeta Salie Borez who carted his produce to the market on Friday afternoons.

During the decade 1980-1990 many renovations were undertaken.

Saaid and Sedick Sadien renewed the roof and rebuilt one of the Mosque walls which had collapsed. Allie Sadien and Cassiem Damon organised replacement of the old wooden floor with concrete. Boeta Ebrahim Adams assisted with transport, sand and stone for these projects.

In 1981 Boeta Armien Davids and his family replaced the old windows which were rotting and they also renewed the mosque carpet.

Hadji Abdullah (Prep) Solomon and Haji Ismail (Kamaai) Brenner were two very well-known Constantia residents and prominent musallees of Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

Hadji Abdullah arranged a second ladies Moulood

celebration during the 1950-1960 period; his wife Aunty Aysha (Eisy) was the main organiser . This Moulood was

Hadji Ismail Brenner

held in a tent which was erected next to the mosque and in later years was moved to the homes of various families in Constantia.

Haji Abdullah Solomon and Haji Ismail Brenner are remembered by all for their very special role on Eid days…they read the salawaat and walked with the collection “doek” every Eid day, a tradition which has continued to the present day.

Masjied-ul Maghmoed Today

With the dawn of the new South Africa in 1994, many Muslim families have since moved into Constantia and are utilising the mosque on a daily basis for Salaah and other religious activities. Jumu’ah was re-established in 1997 and a Madressah class has been in operation for a number of years.

We wish to thank Dr Riza van der Ross,  Faiez Martin and Abubakr Harris for

their support and assistance and invite all Constantia residents to be active participants in the future programmes of Masjid-ul Maghmoed.

Eid-ul Fitr 2013


The intention of this publication is to sketch the historical background of Masjid-ul Maghmoed and also to identify and honour those individuals who established, maintained and frequented the masjid during its early years from 1913 to around 1970 when the community was uprooted.

Due to the lack of any written historical sources this publication is entirely based upon verbal input from a handful of individuals whose forefathers and mothers lived in Constantia and were associated with the masjid.

It is hoped that this will encourage others who may have relevant information about the pre- apartheid Constantia Muslim communities in general and Masjid-ul Maghmoed in particular, to share such information for inclusion in future editions.

This is an important part of our heritage and we wish to encourage families and other community and religious organisations to embark upon research and documentation of local history; indeed such documents will form a valuable reference for future generations.

While we have focused on the past, it is also important to recognise and thank all those of the current generation, who assist and support the affairs of Masjid-ul Maghmoed. We thank them sincerely for their generosity and support.

We pray Allah accept all our good deeds.

We thank Allah for guiding us to the Deen of Islam, and for granting us ancestors and parents whose legacy is a Masjid where Allah is glorified and worshiped.

We beseech Allah to forgive those who have passed on and grant them Jannah-tul Firdous.


And be steadfast in Salaah and regular in sadqah: And whatever good you send forth for
your souls before you, you shall find it with Allah, for Allah sees well all that you do.
[Sura Baqarah, verse 110]